The purpose of Alimony in Alabama is to preserve, as much as is possible, the economic living condition of the parties as they existed during the marriage. There is a duty to maintain the status of their ex-spouse until such time as the spouse is self-supporting or maintaining a similar status to the one enjoyed before the separation.
The two most important factors to be considered in determining alimony payments are:
- The need of the spouse receiving alimony.
- The ability to pay by the spouse paying alimony.
However, there is a laundry list of factors that courts do take into consideration:
- Standard of living during the marriage
- Age and gender of each party
- Length of the Marriage
- Bad conduct by a party that caused the divorce(adultery)
- Health of each party
- Potential for maintaining their standard of living without spouse
Alimony can result from long and short term marriages as well.